Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hi Z-Don,

I hope you weren't hunted by a family who was trying to go on vacation and got sent back to a prehistoric world where they meet up with some locals including Tasha (an intelligent dino), Stink (a monkey man), and Christa (another human).

Well I thought I would drop you a quick line regarding my recent anger towards gender normativity and the prevalence of masochistic, chauvinistic barriers placed on the English language.

What am I talking about you ask. I am talking about impotence. I realized today that impotence simultaneously means (1) without power and (2) lack of an erect phallus. I think that this double meaning for impotence begins to entwine and associate the ideas of masculinity and power in a subversive, but impactful manner. I think these phallocentric boundaries inherent in our language may be underlying gender discrimination that currently exists in our society. Women don't have as many top CEO jobs, and they get paid less for the CEO jobs that exist. It is probably because the english language won't even let them obtain power without a phallus.

D. Rex

No comments: